What to eat before bed?
The quality of sleep also improves if you get up early in the morning.. A small snack, in fact, can stimulate and accelerate the metabolism, thus managing to keep blood sugar levels stable throughout the night. This allows the hormone glucagon, which has the task of burning fat, to start working just while you are sleeping. Furthermore, the snack will not make sleep restless: preventing the drop in blood sugar levels also allows you to fall asleep more. quickly and to enjoy a peaceful and restorative rest.The evening snack, moreover, helps to support the immune defenses and to get up in the morning with energy.
Did you know that ...
Another feature that night snacks must have is the low sugar content to keep insulin at bay and not cause further peaks of hunger: for this reason those who dine late in the evening, or even at eleven or midnight, will have to reduce the quantities and choose foods with a high satiating power.which are suitable to be consumed before bed. It is important to remember that in any case the snack should be small portions, this to avoid going to bed with excessive weight on the stomach. It will also be consumed at most half an hour before going to bed to avoid reflux phenomena, especially in those who suffer from it.
Here are some foods that are commonly recommended and that benefit the body overnight:
- Apple, banana, peram cigliegie: they dampen the appetite and do not weigh down the stomach
- Blueberries: rich in essential amino acids, vitamins, antioxidants
- Avocado: rich in sedative minerals such as magnesium and potassium: consume half of them, seasoned with a little "d" oil
- Cottage cheese
- Unsalted olives: They dull hunger and have a relaxing power.
- Greek Yogurt and Oat Flakes: They offer digestive health benefits as they protect the intestinal flora and help facilitate sleep.
- Vegetables (raw): valerian, mixed salad, carrots, celery, courgettes, are ideal as a night snack. Avoid leafy and green vegetables which could cause excessive bloating and disturb sleep.
- Nuts (almonds and walnuts): they are rich in sedative minerals and tryptophan, an amino acid with a natural relaxing power
Did you know that ...
The ideal foods to consume as an evening snack, before bedtime, should contain two essential elements for a good rest: tryptophan and melatonin. The first is an amino acid that promotes sleep. Not failing to produce tryptophan naturally, it is important to consume foods that contain it. They are mainly milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, fish and beans. Melatonin, on the other hand, is a hormone that regulates sleep and influences the body's sleep-wake cycle, promoting sleep. Foods rich in melatonin are cherries, nuts, bananas, oats and tomatoes.
Two snack ideas for those who are very hungry before bed
Those who feel a sense of hunger before going to sleep and want a salty snack, can opt, for example, for a small toast of wholemeal bread with cooked ham (the carbohydrates of the bread trigger the release of insulin, which can help the restorative tryptophan , while the proteins of the ham favor the production of hormones, it dampens hunger, or wholemeal crackers with chickpea hummus, which also in this case boast an ideal supply of carbohydrates and proteins.and gastric reflux, but also insomnia. In fact, lying down too soon after eating can cause a burning sensation in the chest or a reflux of stomach acid. In general, it is strongly not recommended to eat large portions of food at dinner, and before going to bed, especially for people suffering from bronchial and lung problems. The ingested food, in fact, could aggravate the health conditions of people suffering from asthma as it remains in the stomach all night and affects the movement of the chest.