Orecchiette with turnip tops
It is always pleasant to rediscover the characteristic flavors of some countries of our Italy. For this reason, today, I want to offer you a typical dish of Bari, orecchiette with turnip tops. The peculiarity of this recipe, in addition to the choice of ingredients, consists precisely in the way the pasta is cooked: the orecchiette are not cooked separately as is customary. To enrich the flavor of the pasta, the orecchiette are in fact cooked together with the turnip greens leaves. The ingredients that I call “collateral”, such as in this case anchovy, ricotta and mixed sheep's cheese, give the dish a very important and decisive taste.
Video of the Recipe
Problems with playing the video? Reload the video from youtube.
Identity Card of the Recipe
- 232 KCal Calories per serving
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 90 g of fresh ricotta
- 1 pinch of red pepper
- a pinch of pepper
- 300 g of orecchiette
- 100 g of mixed sheep's cheese
- 300 g of turnip greens
- 1 clove of garlic
- q.s. (for cooking) of water
- a handful of salt
- 1 pot with lid to boil the water
- 1 large skillet to sauté the pasta
- 1 non-stick spoon to mix the pasta
- 1 knife
- 1 tablet specific for food (cutting board)
- 1 serving dish
- 1 ladle with laundry
- Clean the leaves of the turnip greens, then wash them thoroughly, remove the hardest parts (stems) and cut them into small pieces with a ceramic knife or with your hands.
- Meanwhile, pour plenty of water into a saucepan; then bring it to a boil and add salt to taste. Then add the turnip greens and, once they have boiled, also the orecchiette.
Why cook the turnip greens leaves and the orecchiette together?
By cooking the pasta in the same cooking water as the turnip greens, the orecchiette are enriched in taste and become much tastier. In addition, the cooking times of the turnip greens and orecchiette leaves coincide (13-15 minutes).
- As long as the turnip greens and orecchiette are cooked, prepare the sauce in a large pan: put 4 anchovies in oil in the hot pan, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, a little chilli (optional), a clove of garlic. and a little pepper. Then cover with the lid and lower the heat for a few minutes. Then, melt a generous spoonful of ricotta in it, mix well and turn off the heat.
- After 13 minutes, turn on the pan containing the spicy anchovy and ricotta sauce again, then transfer the pasta and turnip greens to it with the help of a ladle with holes in it.
- Raise the heat to dry the excess water. Finish with a sprinkling of grated sheep or pecorino cheese. Serve hot.
Alice's comment - PersonalCookerTypical dish from Bari, the orecchiette with turnip tops have been enriched with taste with the addition of anchovies, ricotta and pecorino, with that pinch of spiciness that makes the pasta even more appetizing. Orecchiette with turnip tops are a first course tasty and tasty, which can serve as a complete dish very well.
Also prepare the orecchiette with broccoli! Discover the recipe.
Nutritional values and Health Comment on the recipeOrecchiette with turnip greens are a first course rich in fiber, mineral salts and carbohydrates, with a moderate energy content. Despite having a large sauce based on ricotta, cheese, anchovies and turnip leaves, these orecchiette provide only 240kcal per serving (100g total, including pasta and sauce), of which only 21% derive from lipids (even if predominantly saturated. ). The fiber intake is good and, if appropriately contextualized, can significantly contribute to the achievement of the recommended daily ration (about 30g / day).