Spinach and Potato Gnocchi
Today I propose you a delicious dish in full spring style, in which spinach is the main ingredient. Fasten your aprons, fold your sleeves well and get ready to put your hands in the dough to prepare the potato and spinach gnocchi in sauce!
Video of the Recipe
Problems with playing the video? Reload the video from youtube.
Identity Card of the Recipe
- 131 KCal Calories per serving
For the gnocchi
- Q.b. of salt
- About 150 g of white flour type 00
- Steamed food: 100 g of spinach
- Steamed food: 400 g of potatoes
For the dressing
- 150 g of seasoned ricotta or scamorza cheese
- A few sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Q.b. of salt
- 400 g of tomato sauce
- Casserole and steamer basket
- Small saucepan
- Potato masher
- Cooking pan
- Die for gnocchi or fork
Did you know that
To prepare the gnocchi you can use white potatoes, particularly floury, or potatoes with red skin, perfect for all uses.
There are two preferred methods of cooking potatoes in the preparation of gnocchi: steaming (with peeled and chopped potatoes) or boiling (without peeling the potatoes).
- Wash the potatoes, peel them, cut them into regular cubes and collect them in the steamer basket. Steam the potatoes for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, wash the fresh spinach and steam it. Collect the spinach in a blender and purée them.
- Prepare the sauce for dressing the gnocchi: pour a tablespoon of oil into a saucepan, flavor with a clove of garlic and pour the tomato puree. Add salt and pepper: cook over low heat to dry and flavor the sauce.
- When the potatoes are cooked, purée them with a potato masher. Add the blended spinach, two pinches of salt and mix the ingredients by adding as much white flour as needed (about 150 g), to obtain a consistency that can be worked with your hands. For the gluten-free version, it is recommended to replace the white flour with rice flour.
- Proceed with the preparation of the gnocchi. Take a portion of the dough and shape with your hands to obtain a long cord, with a diameter of about 1-1.5 cm.
- Cut the loaf into small pieces, a couple of centimeters long; roll each piece in your hands to get a ball.
- If you wish, pass each gnocchetto through the special die to scratch the surface or drag the gnocchi onto the prongs of a fork.
How to store the gnocchi?
If you like to prepare the gnocchi in time, you can freeze them. After preparing them, transfer them to a tray lined with baking paper, taking care to arrange them spaced apart to avoid making them sticky. Place the tray in the freezer and let them harden for a couple of hours. When the gnocchi are hard, they can be removed from the tray and transferred to a plastic bag to take up less space in the freezer.
- Prepare a saucepan with plenty of water, add a tablespoon of coarse salt and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, pour two tablespoons of oil into a pan, flavor with a few sage leaves while maintaining a medium-low heat.
- Boil the gnocchi: when they emerge they are ready to be drained.
- Drain the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and collect them in the pan with the sage-flavored oil to make them flavor.
- Serve the gnocchi on a plate with the tomato sauce. Finish with a grated grated ricotta or smoked scamorza.
Alice's comment - PersonalCookerThis special dish is perfect for young and old: with the three colors of the Italian flag exploding in this dish, I decided to serve the gnocchi on the occasion of April 25, to celebrate the national day of Our Republic!
Nutritional values and Health Comment on the recipeSpinach and Potato Gnocchi are a food that belongs to the group of first courses.
Calories come mostly from carbohydrates, followed by lipids and finally proteins.
Carbohydrates are mainly complex, monounsaturated fatty acids and peptides of medium biological value.
Cholesterol is irrelevant and fiber is abundant.
That of Spinach and Potato Gnocchi is a recipe that lends itself to most diets.
It is advisable to reduce the portion in case of overweight.
These gnocchi contain gluten and small amounts of lactose, so they do not lend themselves to the diet for celiac disease and intolerance towards milk sugar.
They are allowed by the vegetarian philosophy but not by the vegan one.
The average portion is around 250 g (325 kcal).