Did you know that the cooking water of chickpeas can be recovered and exploited to prepare sensational desserts? Working the liquid with an electric mixer and incorporating air you get a stable foam that recalls the mass of egg whites. Why not prepare the macarons without egg whites? This is a real revolution!
Video of the Recipe
Problems with playing the video? Reload the video from youtube.
Identity Card of the Recipe
- 376 KCal Calories per serving
Ingredients for about 50 macarons (100 discs)
- 100 ml of chickpea cooking water
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of untreated lemon juice
- 5 g of cornstarch
- 160 g of brown sugar
- 120 g of almonds
For the filling
- 140 g of dark chocolate
- 50 ml of rice milk or soy milk
- 20 ml of coconut oil
- Electric whips
- Pressure blender
- Scale weighs food
- Baking plates
- Macarons mat (optional)
- Baking paper
- Scale weighs food
- Sac à poche with smooth spout
- In the container of a pressure blender, collect 100 g of brown sugar and chop it until you get an impalpable powder.
- Blend the remaining cane sugar together with the almonds, adding a teaspoon of corn starch (very useful for absorbing the oil naturally present in the almonds).
- In the container of an electric mixer, pour the cooking water of the chickpeas (at room temperature) and operate the electric whisk. Work the liquid for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the acquafaba will have assumed a very dense and foamy consistency: a at this point, add a tablespoon of lemon juice, the vanilla flavor, a teaspoon of turmeric and 100 g of chopped brown sugar. Work again with the electric whisk for another 10 minutes.
To prepare this recipe we suggest using the cooking water of the chickpeas (acquafaba). For an optimal result, it is advisable to concentrate the cooking broth by letting the water evaporate for 2-3 minutes over a high flame.
To speed up the time, you can use the liquid found in canned chickpeas: in this case, however, it is advisable to prefer organic products with few preservatives. Unlike home-cooked legumes, the liquid from canned chickpeas contains a certain amount of salt, but the amount will still be reduced and will not negatively affect the final result.
The water of the chickpeas, subjected to mechanical processing with whips, has rising capacities due to the presence of some particular substances, called saponins: in contact with water, the saponins develop a stable and persistent foam.
Lemon juice, rich in vitamin C, promotes the formation of foam, stabilizing the compound.
- The mass is ready. Gradually and little by little combine the almond powder and sugar: for an optimal result, we recommend sieving the chopped almonds to obtain an extremely fine and impalpable grain.
Did you know that
Traditional macarons are colorful. In the vegan version we recommend adding a teaspoon of turmeric to give the sweets a golden color. To naturally dye them green, we recommend adding a few drops of chlorophyll; to dye them red we recommend adding very concentrated beetroot juice.
- Line two trays with parchment paper or prepare the special silicone mats for macarons.
- Pour the vegan almond meringue mass into a pastry bag with a smooth spout and make discs with a diameter of 2.5 cm, leaving a little space between one sweet and the next.
- Leave the sweets to rest for an hour at room temperature: this is the only way to obtain smooth macarons.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling (vegan ganache). In a saucepan, heat the soy milk and when hot pour the liquid into the chopped dark chocolate, adding a tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix thoroughly and allow to cool to room temperature, until the cream reaches a spreadable density.
- Preheat the oven to 100 ° C (ventilated). If necessary, bake several times and bake for 60 minutes at 100 ° C. Without opening the oven door, lower the temperature to 80 ° C and cook for another 30 minutes.
Pay attention to cooking
The hardest part in making this recipe is cooking. Classic macarons should be cooked for a shorter time at higher temperatures. Vegan macarons are not prepared with egg white, so a too high temperature could caramelize the sweets. To obtain perfect sweets it is highly recommended to cook them at low temperatures but for a long time.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool completely and remove each disc with a spatula.
- Proceed with the filling. Spread a teaspoon of vegan ganache on a disc, then cover with a second disc by pressing lightly. Proceed in this way until all the ingredients are used up.
- To appreciate the crunchiness of the shells and the creaminess of the filling in a single bite, we recommend serving the macarons immediately after filling them with the cream.
Alice's comment - PersonalCookerVegan macarons can be kept for 2-3 days in the fridge. If you want to keep them longer, I recommend filling them just before serving so that the almond meringue discs always remain perfect and crunchy.
Nutritional values and Health Comment on the recipeVegan Macarons are foods that fall into the group of sweets.
Calories come mainly from lipids, followed by carbohydrates and finally proteins.
Carbohydrates are mainly simple, peptides of medium biological value and unsaturated lipids.
Cholesterol is absent, while fiber is abundant.
Vegan Macarons are foods that are not suitable for all diets.
They should be avoided in cases of overweight, hyperglycemia, type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertriglyceridemia.
They do not contain lactose and gluten, so they are suitable for the diet for these food intolerances.
They are accepted by the vegan philosophy and the ovo ovo vegetarian philosophy.
The average portion as a snack is about 20-30 g (75-115 kcal).